U.S. Military Launches 12th Night of Strikes on Iran After Trump Threatens Bridge, Power Plant Bombings
Image: خبرگزاری فارس

U.S. Military Launches 12th Night of Strikes on Iran After Trump Threatens Bridge, Power Plant Bombings

21 July, 2026.Iran.15 sources

U.S. conducts 12th consecutive night of strikes on Iran to degrade threats to civilian mariners. Trump threatened to destroy Iran's bridges and power plants for attacks on ships in Hormuz.

3.2We read these line by lineAssociated Press framed this story hardest. 2 of 15 sources analysed.See it →
15 outlets2 divides2 facts unevenly coveredseverity 6/10

Beat 1 · The verdict

Iran International says Hormuz is closed; CENTCOM framing disputes it.

Read them yourself

Do not take our word for it. Here is what they published.

All 15 outlets

Full story

12th Night of Strikes

The U.S. military launched a 12th consecutive night of strikes on Iran on Wednesday, with U.S. Central Command saying the attacks were designed to “further degrade Iran’s ability to threaten civilian mariners and commercial vessels transiting regional waters.”

intended to "further degrade Iran's ability to threaten civilian mariners and commercial vessels transiting regional waters"

CBS NewsCBS News

The strikes came as President Donald Trump threatened that the United States would “bomb and destroy” an Iranian bridge or power plant for every new attack by Iran on a ship in the Strait of Hormuz.

Image from Al Jazeera
Al JazeeraAl Jazeera

CENTCOM also said the Strait of Hormuz “remains open for transit” despite “threats and attacks” by Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, while the Pentagon insisted the waterway is still open.

In parallel, Yemen’s Iran-backed Houthi rebel group claimed Wednesday it attacked two oil tankers in the Red Sea, following through on a threat that could snarl the Bab al-Mandab strait.

The escalation unfolded alongside a U.S.-Saudi nuclear cooperation deal signed Wednesday by Energy Secretary Chris Wright and Saudi Minister of Energy Abdulaziz bin Salman, described as a “123 agreement.”

Iran’s “Eye for an Eye”

Iran’s foreign minister Abbas Araghchi warned that Tehran would respond in kind to any attack on its infrastructure, saying, “Our defence doctrine is clear: eye for an eye.”

Araghchi added that “Any aggression against Iran, including our infrastructure, will compel a powerful and decisive response,” as Iranian state media also quoted the military saying U.S. threats “will have no result other than the expansion of the war.”

Image from Associated Press
Associated PressAssociated Press

Al Jazeera reported that Iran’s chief negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf delivered a message on X saying, “In a region where we do not sell oil, no one will sell oil.”

Ghalibaf also warned that “If our security is not ensured, no infrastructure will be safe,” linking the Strait of Hormuz to whether American forces remain in the region.

In response to Trump’s threats, the Guardian reported that the Houthis said they carried out a military operation targeting two Saudi oil tankers identified as ENCELA and LAYLIA, and that Saudi authorities would respond “firmly.”

Diplomacy, Infrastructure, Fallout

The BBC reported that Trump threatened to destroy an Iranian bridge or power plant “whether it be by missile, rocket, drone, or any other device or weapon,” after the U.S. launched strikes for the 11th consecutive night.

The U.S. would destroy an Iranian bridge or power plant any time its forces attack a ship

BBCBBC

The BBC also said Secretary of State Marco Rubio told reporters the U.S. would “defend” ships going through the straits getting “blown up,” while adding that U.S. officials were “open to diplomacy” but Iran did not seem serious about talks.

Al Jazeera said Iran’s Ministry of Health reported that U.S. attacks since late last month have killed 53 people, including three children, and injured 590 others.

Al Jazeera further reported that the escalating attacks have led both sides to say they have abandoned the interim peace deal they signed last month, at least for now, with the Strait of Hormuz remaining a central point of contention.

In a separate diplomatic move, Fox News reported that the United Kingdom temporarily withdrew its diplomatic staff from Iran due to the deteriorating security situation, while the embassy continues to operate remotely.

Story read · 15 outlets · 2 disagreements · 2 facts unevenly covered

Coverage map

How each outlet frames it

Every outlet we compared, the headline it ran, and a link to the original article.

We scored these line by line

Our Watchdog read these 2 articles sentence by sentence. 0 means no framing found, 10 means severe. How we score.

Associated Press

US military says it’s carrying out strikes on Iran as both sides threaten civilian infrastructure

22 July, 2026

Al Jazeera
Al Jazeera3.0 / 10

US launches new strikes as Iran warns of regional turmoil

22 July, 2026

Western Mainstream

BBC
BBC

Strait of Hormuz: Trump threatens to target Iran's bridges and power plants if attacks on ship persist

22 July, 2026

CBS News
CBS News

Iran War Updates: U.S. launches 12th straight night of strikes as threats to oil trade deepen

22 July, 2026

CNBC
CNBC

What is Pickaxe Mountain, the Iranian nuclear facility Trump is threatening to strike?

22 July, 2026

CNN
CNN

Live updates: Trump vows to hit Iranian bridge or power plant each time Tehran strikes ships in Strait of Hormuz

22 July, 2026

Fox News
Fox News

Tehran responds after Trump warns US will strike bridges, power plants over Hormuz attacks

22 July, 2026

NBC News
NBC News

The costs of the Iran war are rising as Trump and Tehran signal no letup in the expanding conflict

22 July, 2026

The Guardian
The Guardian

Iran warns of ‘eye for an eye’ response if US follows through on Trump’s threats to destroy infrastructure – as it happened

22 July, 2026

West Asian

CNN Arabic
CNN Arabic

Iranian response to Trump's threat: 'We will attack America's interests in the region'.

22 July, 2026

Asharq Al-Awsat
Asharq Al-Awsat

America: Iran 'in a big bind'... and we want a diplomatic settlement (live coverage)

22 July, 2026

Iran International
Iran International

Live coverage - Trump: The United States will bomb bridges and power plants in Iran in response to its attacks on ships in the Strait of Hormuz.

22 July, 2026

خبرگزاری فارس
خبرگزاری فارس

Farsnews | U.S. Intelligence Assessment: War Cannot Force Iran to Surrender

21 July, 2026

Other

Journal-News
Journal-News

US military says it's carrying out its 12th night of strikes on Iran as both sides threaten civilian infrastructure

22 July, 2026

Local Western

Ottumwa Courier
Ottumwa Courier

US military says it's carrying out strikes on Iran as both sides threaten civilian infrastructure

22 July, 2026

NewsCord Digest

Get every Iran story like this one, in one email

Daily or weekly, only the topics you follow, each with the difference our analysis found across the outlets covering it.

Set up your digest

More on Iran