Catalan Police Arrest Jonathan Andic Over Mango Founder Isak Andic’s Cliff Death
Image: WWD

Catalan Police Arrest Jonathan Andic Over Mango Founder Isak Andic’s Cliff Death

19 May, 2026.Crime.14 sources

Key Takeaways

  • Jonathan Andic arrested by Mossos d'Esquadra over his father Isak Andic's 2024 death.
  • Isak Andic died after falling from a cliff during a Montserrat hike in December 2024.
  • Jonathan Andic posted €1 million bail and was released from custody.

Arrest in Catalonia

Catalan police arrested Jonathan Andic, the son of Mango founder Isak Andic, in connection with Isak Andic’s death after he fell from a cliff while hiking in the Montserrat mountains near Barcelona in December 2024.

Based on facts observed and verified directly by our journalists or by informed sources

20Minutos20Minutos

Mossos d’Esquadra said: "I can confirm the detention of Jonathan Andic on suspicion of the homicide of his father, Isak Andic."

Image from 20Minutos
20Minutos20Minutos

The arrest came after the case was reopened following inconsistencies in Jonathan Andic’s testimony, with The Impression saying the death was initially ruled an accident and the case was closed in early 2025.

Authorities said Isak Andic died after falling more than 100 metres while hiking with members of his family, and Newswire reported Jonathan Andic appeared in handcuffs before the courthouse in Martorell, a city near Barcelona.

The Guardian later reported that Jonathan Andic was released on bail of €1m (£866,000) after being arrested and questioned in connection with his father’s death in Catalonia almost 18 months ago.

Family and court orders

After his arrest, Jonathan Andic appeared before a judge in Martorell, where the court ordered detention with bail set at 1 million euros, according to The Impression.

The judge also ordered detention with bail set at 1 million euros, and The Impression said authorities confiscated his passport and required him to report to the court on a weekly basis.

Image from BBC
BBCBBC

The Andic family publicly defended Jonathan Andic’s innocence, with The Impression quoting the statement that it was “absolutely” convinced that “no legitimate evidence exists or will be found” against him.

The Guardian reported that the court said the case was being “investigated as a charge of homicide” and ordered him to remain in Spain, surrender his passport and appear weekly before the judge.

CNN said the judge set a bail of €1 million ($1.16 million), which “has already been paid,” and that the judge also ordered Andic to surrender his passport and mandated weekly appearances in court.

What happens next

The investigation into Isak Andic’s death was initially closed in January 2025 after authorities ruled it an accident, but multiple outlets said the case was reopened later, including after inconsistencies in Jonathan Andic’s story.

Son of former Mango CEO arrested in relation to father's death in 2024 Jonathan Andic, son of Isak Andic, released from custody after paying €1 million bail Catalan police, the Mossos d'Esquadra, have arrested Jonathan Andic, son of Isak Andic, on Tuesday morning, in relation to his father's death in December 2024

Catalan NewsCatalan News

E! Online said police in Catalonia later shared the 71-year-old’s death was being investigated as a potential homicide, and it reported that Jonathan Andic was arrested on May 19 over an alleged role in his father’s demise.

The Guardian said officers and judicial sources told El País and La Vanguardia last year that the case was being treated as a possible homicide, and it also reported that La Vanguardia said the judge changed Jonathan Andic’s official status from witness to possible suspect in September last year.

CNN reported that a spokesperson for the High Court of Justice of Barcelona said in a statement Tuesday that the case is being investigated as a homicide, and it said Jonathan Andic was the only witness to the incident.

The Impression added that the Andic family called for respect for Jonathan Andic’s presumption of innocence after he was brought before a judge as part of the homicide investigation, saying “The conviction of his innocence is absolute,” and that the family was “confident that the progress of the proceedings will demonstrate it.”

More on Crime